Friday, November 2, 2007

First sock

This is my sock so far. It's only about 5 inches long and needs to be 8 inches but I think I'll stop at 7 inches. I don't want it to go all the way up to my knees!

I'm using 4 DPNs (double pointed needles) that I nabbed from a 99c auction on eBay (with at least 5 other sets too!). The yarn is some from the stash I got from my Granny when she passed away: Sirdar Octo 8ply 80% wool, 20% nylon.

I'm using Silver's Sock Class which is so great with all the pictures. KnittingHelp is great with all those videos too. I'm still trying to work out if I want to knit continental (left hand like crochet) or English (right hand). At the moment I'm sort of throwing the yarn over the needles but not holding the yarn with any good tension in either hand.

I'm really enjoying this project but my finger tips are getting very sore from pushing the needle tips. I don't think I'm doing that part right because I've never heard of sore finger tips from knitting.

The only problem is that this is very distracting and I have still done no work for the upcoming exams at college. Ah well. That's what STUVAC is for I guess!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm - study avoidance at it's best! Perhaps you should leave the other sock till AFTER your exams??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuvac...it should be called Knitvac... Keep at it! The sock looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey - lookin' good
    hurrah for first socks!!!
    (and for 99 cent dpns! =p)

    ReplyDelete