Saturday, February 2, 2008

*Pop* goes my heart!

I watched Music and Lyrics yesterday (as well as both Charlie's Angels and half of Supersize Me). I tend to watch movies on my laptop as I work away on some type of craft. But now I have 'Pop! Goes my heart' stuck in my head along with 'A Way Back into Love'. I also have an aversion to eating McDonalds for a least 3 months.

So, as you can tell by the number of movies yesterday was a *good* day. I finished off TWO projects from Bend the Rules Sewing.

(Have you noticed that I keep linking to either Amy Karol's site or Fishpond when I mention this book? That's because Angus and Robertson (the only other Australian retailer that I know of that has this book) suck bigtime. They suck so much I won't even link them. We've *attempted* to buy a few books from them over the last few years due to all the book vouchers we get at Christmas but their customer service is one of the worst I've ever experienced. A book I was supposed to get for Christmas still hasn't arrived and all we've got is a $10 gift voucher to say 'sorry'. Grrrrr.)

So I finished off the 'Pleated Beauty Bag'. I guess the name is a take off of 'Black Beauty'? That's what it reminds me of anyways.


I changed it a bit. After I had nearly finished the bag I realized that 1" straps were going to cut into my shoulders and hurt a lot so I made them double the width. Also, after I completely finished the bag I realized that the pocket top wasn't finished properly. I mean that I had only turned the top hem over once which would mean it would fray very easily. This is what the instructions say to do though. So I ripped out the lining seam to get inside the bag then folded the top of the pocket over again to sew it back down.


I love this bag so much that I wear it around the house and demand that Nathan look at it and compliment me on it. I do this at least three times a day. :)

My other achievement was making the No Cash Wallet. I lost my wallet the other day at college and am slowly getting back all my cards from the various credit card companies etc. I don't carry cash except for a few coins so the No Cash Wallet seemed perfect. I made it up but like a few other people have said over on the Flickr group, the pockets are a bit too snug. At the moment I've got three cards to put in there and I don't think I could fit more than 4. I'll see how I go and if it bugs me I'll just make up a new one that is a bit wider.

6 comments:

  1. "I love this bag so much that I wear it around the house and demand that Nathan look at it and compliment me on it. I do this at least three times a day. :)"

    It's true. She does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bag Diane! I reckon it deserves a compliment at least five times a day hehe! Love the no-cash purse too - great idea!

    Katie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy yummy, everything is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag is adorable, love the fabric handle lining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane!

    I found your blog through Karen - and it's great to get all these recommendations for books... I managed to buy 'Happy Hooker' the other day and it's GREAT! I'm halfway through the flower scarf. I've been wanting to get 'Bend the Rules Sewing' for a while - does it live up to the hype?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah - I have no idea how to contact you to answer you question!

    I love the Bend the Rules book! Just love it! The directions are clear and the pictures are really good. I'm a fairly newbie sewer but have found that this book doesn't dumb things down.

    I regularly check out the Flickr group Amy Karol has put up which is a great source of help when I'm stuck.

    I've done 1 bag, 1 purse and a turtle from the book so far - I'll be doing a lot more and very soon!

    ReplyDelete