Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sharing the good stuff

This is something Nathan and I made a few weeks ago. It's from Heather Bailey's Paper Globe pattern. It was supposed to be a Valentine's day thing but I got frustrated with it and had to ask Nathan to figure out the 3-D-ness of it so it didn't end up being much of a surprise present for him!

College is going into semi-overdrive at the moment. It's nothing to do with assignments per se. What's happening is that we've got Mission next week. For one week each year we are assigned a church and with our chaplaincy group (about 20 people) we go to that church (usually billeted out) and help run a big week full of events to help tell people about Jesus or just generally promote the churches in their communities.

It is, on the whole, a really good productive week and makes our four years at college worth something along the way. I mean, we get to 'walk the talk' and live out what we study each day. But on the other hand it's so tiring and emotionally draining. Most people are happy to talk about religion but lots are really quite angry if we approach them and that makes it so hard to get motivated to share what we know about Jesus. We all understand that not everyone is a Christian or wants to be a Christian but it's disheartening when people are mean.

I've got lots to do next week. For some reason despite the fact that many women are becoming Christians there are not that many women at college. So that means when Mission is on women often have twice as many church-run functions to attend. Men usually get the whole week off if they just do one sermon on a Sunday. I've got to share my testimony (the story of how I became a Christian) at least 3 times, give a short talk, give a book review and help run Scripture over three days. Scripture is religious education at schools. In New South Wales they call it Scripture. In Queensland we just called it Religious Education.

I'm looking forward to Mission in that I can tell people about Jesus and encourage them if they are already a Christian but I'm also going to miss my house, my craft supplies and my internet!

I'm stocking up on knitting and crochet patterns to do in my chill-out time next week. I'm filling up my queue over on Ravelry! I'm thinking I might try some of these in the not to distant future:

Slippers
Slouchy Hat
Quant Headband
Mug Cozies

2 comments:

  1. twinklescrapbooks@yes! that's my child screaming!April 6, 2008 at 7:16 AM

    Thanks for the directions. I want to make these! :) tina

    ReplyDelete