Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Loquat Trees


I've been reading Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees.

The adventures of these missionaries are fascinating but more so the complete overhaul they had to make of their lives and expectations. The ever increasing opportunities for them to learn humility are eye-opening to a proud missionary wannabe like me.

I went on a mission to Azerbaijan in 2002 and there I learnt a lot about who I thought I was and who I really was. The last few years have involved an awful lot of helpful navel gazing that I like to call constructive self reflection. No mushy daily diaries but genuine self-critical thought processes that attempt to assess myself not against others but against the goal of being Christ-like.

Art and craft lay claim to but a minor part of my personality and yet I strive to do so much of it to the detriment of other more important facets of my daily life.

I wonder how much of my art and craft I do to the glory of God or to the glory of self.

No comments:

Post a Comment