Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Crafting a Mission

So after the car crash we had a good mission in the end. St Peter's is an interesting church. It's one of the oldest in Australia so comes with stained glass windows and a cemetary but also holds a drop-in center twice a week for street kids as well as supports a Fijian prayer and Bible study ministry.  The graffiti in the area is mind-blowing. I have much more appreciation for this kind of work. 

I was able to spend a lot of my free time between activities crocheting a blanket. I'm using only acrylic yarn from the stash I inherited from my Granny. It's the wool-eater pattern. Gah - it was a complete and utter pain to figure out from the 'pattern'. I think the designer tried to write instructions that emulated verbal instructions rather than just write a standard pattern with standard abbreviations. It is a beautiful pattern now that I've got it figured out. Also lots of people post pictures of this side on the internet. I actually prefer the other side (the flatter side - 3rd picture).

I also started this week on my quilt following Oh Frasson's instructions. Here
 are the 4 prints I'll use. These strips make up the first 2 blocks. I don't think I'll have quite enough to make up all the blocks and will start having to swap in other prints but that's the point of this exercise - to use up some of my fabric stash. 

Easter is coming. :) Nathan's preaching at church tomorrow so is writing furiously today. I realised yesterday how many essays I need to write in 2 weeks (4!!!) so I'm off to the college library and also the state library today. I don't think I can manageably bring the blanket with to work on on the train. I wish I had some knitted socks on the go - they are too hard to start on a train. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the blanket! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found you through the blog catalog. I love crafting and art and the variety of your blog attracted me. That, and the fact that you boldly state that you are a follower of Jesus Christ. I am also a follower!

    ReplyDelete