Monday, April 20, 2009

Silent is an anagram of listen.

{Image by Gustavo Aimar on Flickr}
Karen wrote this awesome blog post on listening. 
Last year I did a course on Clinical Pastoral Education. It was to train people how to work effectively in jobs like hospital chaplaincy. Listening is key.
How do you listen effectively to someone whose family member has just died?
How do you listen effectively to someone who just attempted suicide?
How do you listen effectively to someone who just wants to die and die quickly?

More personally for me - how do I listen effectively to someone I disagree with without alienating them? How do I really listen? 

Listening is a skill we all need to work much harder on. It's easy to say we are listening but like Karen pointed out we really all just want to be heard, not listen to someone else. 

3 comments: